Editor’s note: This Monday we are bringing you our newsletter via our website, rather than distributing it on paper with your CSA shares. Next week we will resume our normal production format.
Thanks for reading,
Muir Ranch Work Party: Saturday, February 23
8am – 12pm
Muir Ranch is hosting a work party this coming Saturday. We will be transplanting summer vegetables, building rose beds, completing our hoop-house, turning compost, and more!
3 cups chopped zucchini
- Combine zucchini, 1/4 cup green onions, and broth in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Remove from heat; cool 30 minutes.
- While zucchini mixture cools, combine remaining 1/4 cup green onions, cucumber, cilantro, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; toss well. Cover and chill.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, zucchini mixture, avocado, buttermilk, and cumin in a blender, and process until mixture is smooth. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Pour soup into bowls, and top with cucumber salsa. Serve chilled.
- Preheat oven to 200°. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 in. oil until it registers 375° on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, mix flour with 1/4 tsp. salt in a shallow plate. Put eggs and breadcrumbs into separate shallow plates. Dip avocado in flour, shaking off excess. Then dip it in the egg, and finally lay it in the breadcrumbs to coat each side. Set the prepared avocado slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet or a large plate.
- Fry a few avocado slices at a time until they are a deep golden color, about 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer the slices onto an oven-safe plate lined with paper towels. Keep them warm in oven while cooking remaining avocados. Sprinkle with salt to taste and serve.